To recap our story so far:
- The Damsel got four chickens in April, and was told they’d start laying in October.
- One chicken started laying in July, being an overachiever in all ways. Her comb is quite luxurious.
- The Damsel has spent a lot of time looking under bushes and things since then, wondering when/if the other three are laying.
- The Knight in Shining Armor has spent a hideous amount of time building the Celestial Chicken Coop, which is still not finished. This means the chickens are “free range” in the fenced backyard.
- Four days ago, an egg was found in a new spot, proving that at least two chickens were now laying.
- Three days ago, one chicken escaped from the Cottage’s yard, proving that chickens can compress their bodies into the size of a golf ball, causing the Damsel real/actual distress. Happily the chicken wandered back home, reinflated to her normal basketball size.
- Two days ago the Damsel continued her search of the yard for other nesting spots since she was having a strong suspicion that furtive egg-laying was going on by the other two chickens. All likely spots checked and rechecked. No eggs.
- Every single day since the first one started laying, she has consistently laid an egg in her same little spot without fail.
- Yesterday, no eggs in the two known spots. HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD.
- Today, the Damsel looked in a very unlikely spot and found:
TWENTY TWO EGGS.
Ok, chicken-ladies. How long has this been going on?